When setting up your personal work at home office, you need the best equipment to get started and also to meet all companies requirements. Companies hiring for virtual agents have different requirements for office equipment.
As a general guide, these are some of the technical requirements that may be expected for a home-based agent.
Desktop PC. Laptop PC's/ Macintosh computers are often not allowed. The type of computers most employers are looking for must have;
- Windows XP/ Vista operating system
- Virus and spyware protection and a working firewall.
- Software programs that may be required includes Microsoft Office, WinZip and/or Adobe Acrobat reader.
- Broadband Internet connection . DSL and cable are usually allowed but satellite, dial-up and wireless Internet connections are usually not. A wireless network inside the home is sometimes allowed.
- Land line phone services. Cell, VOIP and cable phones are usually not acceptable. Many companies require that this be a dedicated phone line separated from your home phone. Calling features on the phone line, such as call waiting, call blocking and voicemail, are often not allowed or must be disabled.